Reputation Built on Results
Are you looking for the best Road Traffic Solicitors to defend you on a Speeding charge?
When it comes to protecting your driving licence, we understand the potentially devastating impact of a road traffic charge on the reputation, livelihood and liberty of those we represent.
So, if you’re facing what for you is the legal minefield of a Speeding charge, tip the scales in your favour - Get in touch now.
What is the law on Speeding?
Under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, it is an offence to exceed the relevant speed limit for the road being driven. The relevant speed limit for a particular road may vary depending on the type or ‘class’ of vehicle being driven. For example, on various roads, the speed limit for heavy goods vehicles will be lower than the speed limit for a standard passenger car.
Typically, a speeding charge or prosecution will require evidence about the speed limit in force, the speed of the vehicle in question, the identity of the driver and how the alleged speed was measured.
Given, therefore, the technical and complex issues raised by speeding charges, it makes sense to protect your licence by obtaining early expert advice as to what can be done in your case.
What are the penalties?
There is a wide range of penalties which can be imposed for speeding. These can range from 3 to 6 penalty points, or, for the most serious cases (for example, involving particularly excessive speed), disqualification from driving. Motorists can also expect to be fined.
Whilst Speed Awareness Courses are regularly offered as an alternative to prosecution in England, such courses are not currently offered in Scotland. That said, Police Scotland has now been authorised by Scotland’s prosecutors to examine whether and when such Speed Awareness Courses might be introduced to Scotland in the foreseeable future.
Given, therefore, that the consequences of a speeding endorsement or conviction can be significant and long-lasting, it makes sense to obtain expert guidance on what can properly be done to avoid or reduce the penalties in your case.
How can we help?
You can count on our award-winning team to identify the right questions, provide the right answers and deliver the best solutions.
Here are just some examples of where our know-how often makes the difference:
- Fixed Penalty. If you are offered a ‘police ticket’ or a Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, we can guide you on the potential pros and cons of accepting or rejecting that ‘ticket’ or Offer, and what can be expected at court if you choose not to accept the Offer.
- Speed Limit. Is there satisfactory evidence of the relevant speed limit, either in terms of appropriate road traffic signs or, in certain cases, evidence of a system of street lights spaced no more than a certain distance apart?
- Speed Detection Device. There is a long list of devices which might be encountered in speeding cases, for example, Gatsometers, Lti20/20, Falcon, Unipar, VASCAR, ProVida, Puma and SPECS. But the main question is, have the prosecution demonstrated that the device used in your case was ‘approved’? And has it been shown that the device measuring accurately? For example, have the prosecution produced satisfactory evidence - often requiring documents or certificates - of the device having been properly ‘calibrated’ or adjusted and also then tested or checked at the correct intervals or dates? Were the officers operating the device duly trained and did they operate the device correctly?
- Time Limits. Are there any crucial time limits which the police or prosecutor have missed? For example, in terms of giving you notice of the intention to prosecute you? Or in the time taken to bring your case to court? Or in giving or ‘serving’ you with what is often crucial documentation about the accuracy of the speed detection device used in your case? If vital time limits have been missed, you can count on our forensic know-how to spot any such issues.
- Minimising penalty points or driving ban? If you are considering a full or partial plea of guilty, you can count on our considerable forensic and tactical skills to negotiate the best possible plea with the prosecutor, to present the best possible case to the court and to secure for you the largest possible discount and lowest possible penalty.
If you are facing the anxiety of a speeding charge, we’re confident we can provide the expert guidance you need on these questions and more. Unlike some online specialists, we won’t ‘guarantee this result’ or ‘promise that outcome’, but we are confident we have the expertise and tools to deliver the best possible solution for you.
What are the costs?
Firstly, given the importance of you finding exactly the right lawyer to protect your driving licence, we have the confidence to provide every client with a first, diagnostic consultation, free of charge.
Thereafter, depending upon your financial position and the nature of your case, it may be possible for us to represent you under the Scottish Legal Aid scheme. If, however, Legal Aid is not available or appropriate in your case, whilst any fee chargeable thereafter will depend upon the complexity of your case, we are always happy to provide you with the certainty of a fee agreed in advance, and, if you prefer, usually the reassurance of a fixed fee arrangement, rather than fees based upon each item of work.
Equally, if you have a motor insurance policy or house insurance policy which provides you with cover for the legal costs of defending a motoring prosecution in Scotland, we would always be content to discuss acting for you on this basis. If you are in any doubt as to the terms of cover under any such insurance policy, again, we would be happy to examine the terms of any such policy at your first free consultation.
To tip the scales in your favour, get in touch now.
So, once again, why choose Adams Whyte Road Traffic Solicitors to defend you?
Here are just 5 reasons:
- We are already the trusted choice of thousands of clients who over the years have relied on the expertise of our motoring law solicitors to deliver for them the best possible result in road traffic cases right across the country.
- For the countless clients who, year after year, choose us to protect their driving licence, we have an impressively high rate of success and satisfaction.
- Those who recommend or instruct us include individuals from fields as varied as law and policing, to medicine and banking, to sport and entertainment.
- In fighting to keep you on the road, our specialist solicitors provide the highest standards of technical knowledge, forensic analysis, and courtroom advocacy, for example in exposing and arguing against any technical or legal flaws in the case against you.
- Given the importance of you finding the right lawyer to protect your driving licence, we have the confidence to provide every client with a first, diagnostic consultation, free of charge.
To give yourself the best chance of the best outcome, get in touch now.
For more information or to speak to one of our experts please contact us on: